The Rev. Kent Hovind Reporting Blog

Sunday, November 05, 2006

My letter to 'Center for Christian Distance Education'

Greetings Dr. J.D. Baker,

Please pardon the unsolicited e-mail. I have a brief question that I suspect you / the Center for Christian Distance Education can answer.

I often receive e-mail from supporters of "Dr." Kent Hovind who insist that my criticism of his "science" is unjustified because he has a "Ph.D." (How that has any bearing on the validity of the criticism is a mystery to me.) It is my understanding that "Dr." Hovind purchased his "degree" for US$100 from a diploma-mill called "Patriot University." I was wondering if you could confirm or refute that understanding of mine. If in fact he has a valid "degree," have you any idea where one may get a copy of the "250- page dissertation" he claims to have written?

I have attended "Dr." Hovind's lectures; I have watched video tapes of his debates with scientists and lay people; I find his knowledge on the subjects he pretends to discourse upon "authoritatively" to appear to be, in my opinion, non-existant. When he asserted that a mass flung off a spinning body (such as a "merry-go-'round") would continue to arc, I nearly jumped out of my seat and yelled "bullfrog!" Issac Newton got it right 300 years ago: why did "Dr." Hovind get it wrong?

In Job 13:4-12 one reads that lying for the Lord for His sake is hardly a good thing. While I am not a Christian, Kent Hovind is: is he presenting himself as an educated Ph.D. when he is not? Would he do such a thing? Would any Christian?

"[4] But ye are forgers of lies, ye are all physicians of no value. [5] O that ye would altogether hold your peace! and it should be your wisdom. [6] Hear now my reasoning, and hearken to the pleadings of my lips. [7] Will ye speak wickedly for God? and talk deceitfully for him? [8] Will ye accept his person? will ye contend for God? [9] Is it good that he should search you out? or as one man mocketh another, do ye so mock him? [10] He will surely reprove you, if ye do secretly accept persons. [11] Shall not his excellency make you afraid? and his dread fall upon you? [12] Your remembrances are like unto ashes, your bodies to bodies of clay. "

As I said, I am not a Christian so the Bible does not apply to me. "Dr." Hovind is a Christian, so the Bible should apply to him. Is he merely incompetent, but sincear? If so then I CANNOT FAULT HIM except in his poor knowledge of the subjects he speaks on. If he is deliberately deceiving people (which I have no idea if such is the case or not), then of course I can and will "fault" him on that deception.

It seems to me that Christians should CRITICIZE EACH OTHER to clean up their own House (i.e., the Body of Christ) instead of having a "lost," "unsaved" Pagan such as myself asking these questions. It seems to me that a Christian who calls himself a Doctor but is not is a liability to other Christians who have worked hard and earned their Doctorates. That Hovind also speaks as a Christian, to audiences of Christians, with gross incompetency also seems to me to be less than desirable. Where is the loud vioce among Christianity denouncing such behavior?

Thank you for your time.

David Rice,
Dolphin Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home